From plant to final product
We have a library of plant extracts of bulbs, roots, leaves, flowers and perennials for high throughput screening. This collection is a unique source to find new compounds and active extracts for commercial and scientific use in different industries.
Biodiversity of the Netherlands
The large biodiversity of cultivated plants in The Netherlands (at least 1,500 different genera and 60.000 different plant species and varieties) also means an enormous chemo diversity, which can be used for a variety of applications. Our collection forms a unique source for new compounds to use commercially.
Each year, many new compounds are discovered for various application possibilities by pharmaceutical, cosmetic, bio pesticide and food and fragrance industries, or an increased value of already known compounds, which may make these compounds economically interesting.
Library of plant extracts
The Extract Library is open to private companies, research institutes and universities:
- that want to screen for active compounds and active extracts with their own bio-assays;
- that want to analyze the plant extracts for the presence of specific compounds;
- any other use.
- The extract library comprises more than 1.200 polar and a-polar extracts of bulbs, tubers, leaves, frowers, etc from more than 100 different genera;
- The growth and harvest of plants in The Netherlands are monitored and registered by Dutch inspection agencies tasked by the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs with inspecting the quality of all flower bulb crops in the Netherlands on both quality defects and quarantine pathogens;
- Extracts are available in tubes or 96-well plate formats, or in consultation another format, which are directly compatible with screening methods in the different industries;
- Compliance with the strictest quality requirements the plants can be provided by growth under GAP (Good Agricultural Practice) on large scale;
- Quality control of plant material via GC(-MS), HPLC (-MS), 1HNMR or 13CNMR.
- Contract cultivation: production under controlled condition in greenhouses, as well as at lower cost in the field;
- This ascertains the supply of uniform, high quality raw materials and extracts that are acceptable under any applicable regulatory regime;
- Highly efficient infrastructure;
- The Extract library will be expanded continuously with new plant material;
- Sourcing of specific plants;
- The plants are commercially grown in the Netherlands
- not subject to the biodiversity convention of Rio de Janeiro (Biological Diversity Treaty – 29/12/1993);
- Safeguarding future deliveries;
- Long term supply-chain relationship;
- The plants in the collection of Holland Biodiversity are not subject to the Biological Diversity Treaty (29/12/1993): avoiding legal hassle;
- Marketing topics: Dutch flowers, green & sustainable.
We found compounds in crocus with anti-insecticidal properties and galantamine in Hippeastrums which are both patented by us.
This clearly demonstrates the potential of Holland Biodiversity’s collection of plant extracts. Other species in the library may become the source of e.g. novel life-saving drugs, effective cosmetic ingredients, pleasant flavor and fragrance compounds, natural pigments or safe agrochemicals as well.
Let an expert help you:
Aletta Nieuwenhuijs +3165153 7699